Friday, April 8, 2011

TUNO: the tuna that thrills you





I feel so irresponsible, like I've left you ill-informed, in the dark. Maybe you've been huddled in a corner weeping because you wanted to eat a tunafish sandwich, but you don't eat fish anymore and didn't know what to do. I can't believe I've never even told you about tuno! 

I've had this recipe in my roster for 10 years. If you're a close friend, you've probably had this at my house, at a potluck, or seen it in a cookbook or recipe exchange. This is my go-to recipe. I usually make it once a week or so. It's one of the quickest meals I know of, and I've just discovered a new innovation-- adding pickles! Here's how to get 'er done!

TUNO!
 
1 can chickpeas
juice of half a lemon
2 stalks celery diced, diced onion, minced pickle (optional)
1 tsp. or more kelp powder
2 tbsp. veganaise (or regular mayonnaise), or more or less to taste
onion and/or garlic powder to taste (optional)
cayenne powder if you like it spicy!

Mash chickpeas with potato masher. Add lemon juice, diced celery or other vegetables, kelp powder, mayo, onion or garlic powder, cayenne and stir. Serve between pieces of healthy bread,on a bed of greens, or grilled with sauerkraut or some sort of cheese to make a tuno melt! Serve. Takes approx. 5 minutes and makes enough for a few sandwiches.

Tuno is so awesome for so many reasons. Firstly, it takes only a few minutes to make, and it tastes goddamned amazing. Secondly, make a sandwich out out of this and you get a ton of awesome fibre to sweep the garbage outta your intestines-- especially with the addition of a couple of vegetable servings in the tuno mixture or in your sandwich. Thirdly, you're using kelp powder which has hundreds of vital trace minerals from the sea including one we're often deficient in: iodine! Your thyroid needs iodine. A healthy metabolism depends on it!

Anyway, as a former tuna lover, this recipe always has and always thrilled me and fulfilled me. Hope it does the same for you. Holla back and let a sistah know!


 

3 comments:

  1. That sammie is towering and awesome. WANT.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALSO, my captcha was just hogoguas. I think we have a new word.

    "Girl, you so hogoguas!".....ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally keen to make "hogoguas" a real word. Use it tomorrow and lemme know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete