Sunday, February 27, 2011

Meals made while feeling like a lunatic

On the night of the full moon, I went kind of crazy and made a bunch of food all within an hour. I chopped cabbage for sauerkraut, made some roasted beet dip and cooked up a batch of rice pudding from brown rice. I listened to :wumpscut: and danced a lot. I thought I might turn into a werewolf, but I didn't.
I worked all day at the market, ate the rice pudding at the market for breakfast, shared a chickpea roll, a pakora, a samosa and salad drizzled with delicious tamarind sauce from Unique Catering with my brother at lunchtime, then made myself this quick orange and purple plate for a snack. The plate features: kalamata olives, purple carrot sticks, kimchi, and roasted beet dip. Pretty dope.

It may have been later that night that I made these. I was still feeling wild, fast and furious and these were really quick to prepare. I prepared some mung bean noodles and forgot to put them in the rolls until the end. It was awesome to be able to make these fresh spring rolls in the winter. I was given some produce by a lovely friend of mine as it was being given away at her work. I've been pretty much refusing to buy out of season produce, but I will eat it if it's given to me. These spring rolls featured Acadiana Soy tofu, mung bean noodles, lettuce, shredded carrot, green onions and possibly some other stuff, rolled in rice paper. I made a quick sauce with almond butter rather than peanut butter (I was out of pb), rice vinegar, water, ginger and sriracha. Pretty fresh.

Here I made some dark miso soup featuring shitake mushrooms, nappa cabbage, baby bok choy, grated ginger, broken up kamut spaghetti, fried tofu, topped with green onions, splashed with shoyo soy sauce, littered with korean red pepper powder (gochu), and cooled down with some cooking sake. OH YEAH! Not exactly a traditional miso soup, but I'm not exactly a traditional gal.
I'm really sorry this doesn't look as beautiful as it tasted. It's called Acorn Squash Poriyal (even though I used butternut) and I served it with some plain brown rice. It was brutally delicious and pretty quick to make.
Some day I do hope to be able to take a decent photo of a meal indoors at night. Until then, we all suffer. I made this meal at midnight for Brucifer to welcome him home from his rock n' roll vacation. It's basically an old-style curry that we used to make a lot together when we first started dating. It's really easy, versatile and delicious. I made some yellow rice a la Manjula to accompany it. Wowzers.

1 comment: